The number one question that most people with discolored teeth have, “is it possible to have a natural-looking, bright smile?”. The answer is a big YES! With the advances in technology, there are now various means to improve the look of a smile.
But before getting a particular treatment, it is essential to classify the type of stain first. It is a necessary step to determine the best course to follow. There are two main types of teeth discoloration: extrinsic and intrinsic.
- Extrinsic Stains are kinds of stains that occur outside of the teeth (surface of the enamel). The excessive consumption of intense-colored substances often causes this problem. Poor habits like smoking and inadequate oral hygiene can also contribute to this type of staining.
- Intrinsic Stains, on the other hand, occurs within the teeth, affecting its inner layer called dentin. The usual causes for this type of staining are trauma, medications, genetics, advancing age, infection, and more.
At Blooming Family Dental, we guarantee our patients that we have the perfect solutions in getting rid of stubborn stains whether intrinsic or extrinsic in nature. After determining its type, we can offer options that are part of our cosmetic dentistry services – teeth whitening and veneers!
Instead of recommending our patients with just any whitening products available in the market, we chose to get what’s best for them. We offer a professional teeth whitening system that targets both intrinsic and extrinsic stains to achieve an excellent outcome. However, we also know that there are cases that are much challenging, with that said, we have the backup plan – dental veneers. If a particular tooth does not seem to respond well with hydrogen peroxide, veneers can be placed on its surface to attain even whitening results.
- Maintain proper dental hygiene practices daily
- Seek immediate dental attention if signs of bruxism (teeth grinding and clenching) occur
- Never use the teeth (natural or prostheses) as tools like when opening plastic packets or bottles
- Although there is a particular material used in veneers that is stain-resistant, it is still necessary to limit the intake of any intense-colored substances. It is to maintain the healthy shades of both the natural teeth and prostheses.
- As much as possible, limit the intake of substances with strong colors. If unavoidable, make sure to use a straw when drinking or rinse the mouth afterward.
- Observe the practice of proper oral hygiene by brushing, flossing, and rinsing to get rid of the substances that cling on the teeth which can lead to discoloration.
- Maintain regular dental checkups for the dentist to help in getting rid of plaque and tartar accumulations that causes the teeth to appear dull.
Bring out your best smile with Cosmetic Dentistry in West Caldwell, NJ, book your appointments with Blooming Family Dental! Call us to experience outstanding results to make your teeth look naturally beautiful and healthy.